If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (323) 255-1000

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Mold Growth is Difficult to Eradicate for Do-It-Yourselfers

9/19/2016 (Permalink)

Call SERVPRO to Remediate Mold Growth in Your Home

Rely on SERVPRO to Remediate Mold Problems in Your Home

Wood is an architecturally beautiful material that fits perfectly indoors and outdoors with the Los Angeles County building décor. However, the relaxing weather that mimics a Mediterranean climate is also a great breeding environment for mold. Wood is a “hygroscopic” cellulose material, which means that it can quickly soak up water, holding it like a sponge. If your home or business contains wooden furniture, walls, flooring and more and it has been damaged by water or a fire, the secondary damage is quite often mold.

What to do if you see mold damage in Glendale, whether commercial or residential. If it is starting to grow on your wood-style items, you can take immediate action and begin a cleaning intervention. Here are a few steps you can take depending on the type of wood surfaces you have. The cleaning solution for wood that is finished or painted, you need a mild solution to remove the mold. If the mold growth is embedded into an unfinished wood surface, you will need a solution that penetrates the wood to kill the mold spore roots. This is tough for the average homeowner. The following suggestions you may try, but if the mold patch is around 10 square feet, consider SERVPRO to remediate the mold growth.
For finished or painted wood items you could try:
• 1/2 cup baking soda, 1 cup water, 1 Tbsp mild liquid detergent
• Commercial mold removal product
• Distilled Vinegar
• Mixture of household detergent and water
Unfinished wood items it is highly recommended to rely on professionals. Chances are you will create more of an eyesore than already exists.
• 1/2 cup baking soda, 1 cup water, 1 Tbsp mild liquid detergent
• 1 part household detergent, and 20 parts water, do not use bleach
• Commercial mold removal product
• Distilled Vinegar
• Rubbing Alcohol or Denatured Alcohol
Remember to arm yourself with the right clothing before combining these ingredients. Wear rubber or Nitrile gloves, use safety goggles and protect any exposed skin by wearing long pants and tops with long sleeves. The EPA suggests that if using any products that has a strong smell or fumes, get rid of the mold by working in a well-ventilated area.
Before applying your cleaning solution, test a small area where the mold has begun, to make sure that it doesn't damage your wood furniture or items. When you apply your cleaning solution, let it sit for a few minutes. Scrub the area then use a dry cloth or a disposable paper towel and wipe the area clean until the mold is removed. If you are working on a finished wood surface, you will probably need to sand that item lightly. You may also need to apply a protective wood coating, like polyurethane, lacquer, or a wood stain. This difficult procedure sounds like a lot of work with unknown results and possible adverse outcomes. But not for SERVPRO Anti-Microbial Remediation Technicians. We suggest that if the visible fungi patch is on a hard surface like tile, you may try and succeed at removing the unwanted fungi.
SERVPRO of Eagle Rock has experienced and highly trained technicians that can help save DIY time and effort. We are dedicated to being Faster to Any Size Disaster. Don't guess whether the mold you see in your home or office is harmful or not. Call us today at (818) 244-6005 for a professional assessment and remediation, if necessary, and to give you peace of mind!

Other News

View Recent Posts